Over Nirmanee Development Foundation
|Nimal Hewanila, founder NDF|
of the organization
The Nirmanee Development Foundation (NDF) is one decade old grass roots organization working with mainly rural poor of Sri Lanka.It is registered under the social registration act of Sri Lanka.
The founder Nimal Hewanila was working with other non-government organization as a project coordinator of the project called change agent .The project mainly focus on mobilization of poor in order to reach their right and changing attitude towards handling of their lives. When that project has over he started the foundation with village people and some colleagues.
NDF is based in
Kegalle district of sabaragamuwa province in Sri Lanka.Kegalle district is
one of poorest district in the island. The exiting social system is
neglecting Poor's need and developing monopoly of all resources. Corrupted
political and social system is created dependency for poor people. It is
also neglecting environmental issues and human rights. The result is poor
get poor while rich is getting rich.Kegalle is famous for Tea and rubber
cultivation. These plantations used to use lot of chemical for plantation
and most land abandon because of no more fertile in Land. There are less
food production and people are depending on out side resource. Same time
district has resources and knowledge. Still abandon land can rehabilitate
and can introduce organic system for Tea and Rubber plantation.Peopel can
cultivate their own vegetables and can be independence from dependencies.
But it needs very strong mobilization and activities to cater the problems.
NDF believes that
an every one has capacities to develop them selves and live with dignity
with out any discriminate. Hence it is important to make opportunity for
the needy people to handle their own lives. The foundation has a vision of
consolidating people in to groups and vibrant organs of primary local
governance, federations them into strong pressure lobby for poor and
environment development. A host of continuing dialogues, debates,
educational, and other activities with the people, facilitated by the
foundation tries to translate vision into reality.
Over the years, the programmed evolved from the meeting the simple sustenance need of the groups members to empowering them in order to address the larger issues of food security, natural resources enharsment, education and health need of the distrct.The integration of the varies activities is intended to retrieve Poor's natural leadership position in their communities, and to fight the lack of access and control over the their resources. These activities alongside ensuring earth care are resulting in human care by giving the poor a new found dignity and profile in their village communities.
Nirmanee Development Foundation's mission is to contribute towards the
sustainability of the society by empowering of the people.
1. Formed up community based organizations
2. Revatilization of Environment
3. providing Training on identified subjects
4. Providing job opportunities for rural poor youth.
5. Reaserch and publication
6. Reclamation of Traditional knowledge
7. Engaging in Business activities.
8. Infrastructure development of the rural area.
9. Net working with like minded organizations
10. Policy Lobbing and advocacy
11. Promoting ethnic harmonies
Promoting Alternative energy
1. Implementing of Social Mobilization programmed
2. Introducing saving/credit for rural/urban poor
3. Implementing of sustainable agriculture projects
4. Implementing of water and sanitation projects.
5. Conducting training on
1. Entrepreneurship development,
2. Information technology,
3. Organic farming,
4. Bee keeping,
5. Mushroom production
6. Traditional treatment for snake bite
7. Proper Kitchen management (rural poor),
6 Forming up small co-operatives groups with poor
7. Organizing village fair
8. Research on Traditional knowledge on Health and Agriculture
10. Conducting language classes for Tamil and Sinhalese People.
11. Constructing Bio-Gas unite.